I’ve been a vegetarian all my life and prefer plant-based diet most of the time but my curiosity into Ayurvedic cooking is more recent.
Kichadi in Hindi means a mix of everything. It’s a famous one pot Indian meal that combines lentils and rice, traditionally made with a little ghee (clarified butter) and spice.
This recipe plays a key role in Ayurvedic nutritional healing, especially during illness and detoxing. This yummy, healthy soul food is packed with flavors and nutrients.
Mung dhal is Tridoshic, and together with rice provides a complete source of protein and be sure to add the ghee. Very easy to make in a rice cooker or instant pot.
Brown rice or Barley can be substituted for the basmati rice to make the dish heartier.
This kichadi is perfect for resetting our digestive system and is very easy on the tummy.
*Consult with Our Health Practitioner for Your Body Specific Diet Plan
- 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup mung dal (split yellow dal)
- 3 cups (approx.) water
- 1 cup assorted vegetables (potato, beans, cauliflower.
- A small piece of ginger grated
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafetida (hing)
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- Soak the basmati rice and small yellow lentils (moong dal) in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Chop potatoes, beans and cauliflower into small pieces.
- Press the sauté button, then add the ghee or oil
- Allow it a minute to heat up, then add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds,fennel seeds, turmeric and asafetida.
- When all the spices turn brown, Add the grated ginger and chopped vegetables and saute it for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and lentils (moong dal) and saute it for 1more minute.
- Add 3cups of water and salt to taste.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 3 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release the pressure.
- Serve hot Kichadi into each bowl and serve with a spoonful of ghee and garnish with chopped cilantro.