Persistent Skin Disorders
What Causes It?
Persistent or adamant skin disorders are triggered by aggravated Vata, Pitta, and Kapha that become deranged by the four tissues (dhatus) : skin-plasma, lymph, muscle, and blood and spread through the body.
Certain practices like consuming mutually contracting foods, suppressing natural urges, exercise after meal or under very hot conditions, fasting and improper use of panchakarma procedures may also cause skin diseases.
Remedies for Persistent Skin Disorders
- Vata: Consuming Vata-pacifying foods and liquids is suggested. Castor oil laxatives, enemas, sesame oil massage, triphla, guggul, myrrh, shatavari, and cardamom are recommended.
- Pitta: Taking Pitta-pacifying foods and liquids may help. Coconut juice, aloe vera gel, cilantro juice, gotu kola, and bhringaraj oils are also helpful.
- Kapha: Switching to Kapha-pacifying foods and liquids may be beneficial. Helpful herbs include burdock, gokshura, guggul, triphla, manjistha, ginger, bhuamalaki and gotu kala.
- After the doshas are reduced significantly, Snehana treatment may be given repeatedly to treat the disorder.
Shingles or Herpes Zoster can be detected on the outside, inside, or both. It is said that external herpes is easier to treat, however internal herpes is more difficult to control.
What Causes It?
When doshas are aggravated on their own or due to consumption of salty, sour and pungent foods, they quickly spread to all the internal parts (lymph, blood, muscles and skin). If the increased doshas are on the outside, they progress to the external parts.
Remedies for Shingles
- Vata and Pitta: Pain is throbbing, intermittent, piercing, dilating, cutting, and tingling, similar to Vata fevers and edoema. Herbs such as manjistha, chandan, sariva, and neem may be consumed orally and applied as a poultice.
- Kapha: This kind of herpes is itching and greasy. Daruharidra, turmeric may be used to treat it externally and internally.
- Shingles caused by trauma may be treated using black pepper, chandan, manjistha, and kakamachi.
*Please note: The information on this website is solely for educational purposes and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice. We do not claim to diagnose, treat or cure any diseases. Kindly consult an Ayurvedic expert or licensed health practitioner before following any remedies suggested here.
To book an appointment with our Ayurveda expert click here.