Adai, which is shaped like a pancake, is a healthy, high protein and high nutrient dish made of mixed lentils, rice & spices. It is one of the most common delicacies of South Indian cuisine.
Adai can be made thick or thin and tastes delicious and is mostly served with a chutney of your choice. In this Addai recipe, along with the lentils, I have used quinoa and oats instead of rice.
A healthy alternative for those who are vegan and health conscious and trying to watch their carbs.
Ingredients for Addai
- 1/4 cup green whole moong dal
- 1/4 cup yellow moong dal
- 1/4 Chana dal
- 1/4 cup Toor dal (Yellow spilt pigeon peas)
- 1/4 cup udad dal
- 1 handful Quinoa
- 1 handful Oats.
- 3 green chilies
- 3-4 long dry red chilies
- A small piece of ginger
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp heing (asafoetida)
Ingredients for Instant Tomato Chutney
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp asafoetida (heing)
- 3-4 curry leaves (kadipatha)
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder (methi powder)
- 1 tsp jaggery or sugar
- Soak the dals, quinoa and oats for 4 hrs.
- After 4 hrs. grind it with a small piece of ginger, 3 to 4 curry leaves (kadipatha), 2 green chilies and 1/2 tsp heing (asafoetida) to enhance the flavor.
- I added grated carrots when grinding. (You can add any other vegetables like spinach or beets too)
- The batter is ready. and you can make the Addai instantly without fermenting.
- Make hot Addai’s and serve with No Grind Instant Tomato Chutney as it’s in the picture or you can make any chutney of your choice.
No Grind Instant Tomato Chutney
- Heat 1tbsp Avocado Oil in a pan.
- Add all the above ingredients of the seasoning.
- Once it splutters, add chopped tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some water, cover it and cook in medium heat for 10 mints.
- Add jaggery or sugar and cook for 5 mints.
- Now, add red chili or sambhar powder.
- Add fenugreek powder (methi Powder) (optional)
- This chutney tastes best when its little liquidly. So, if it becomes too dry, then add little more water.
- Cook the chutney till the oil separates.
- Serve hot with Dosa or Addai
- This chutney can be frozen or stored in the refrigerator for a week and is vegan and gluten free
Check out This Recipe on Instagram Here!