The crispy taco has its origins in Mexico, and also has a long history in the United States, as well.
If you think of iconic American tacos, the crispy taco what most often comes to mind. While fast-food restaurants have a bad reputation with greasy refried beans and cheese, when prepared with love and care at home, these tacos can be really healthy and fulfilling.
Trust me, it is still as delicious as the fast-food version you get in Chipotle, Salsa Fresca or the famous Taco Bell. Makes a great family dinner. There is so much room for creativity. Very simple, tasty and super healthy!!!🌮🌮
Ingredients for Black Beans, Corn and Cilantro Medley
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups boiled corn
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsps lime juice
Ingredients for Buttery Wild Rice Pilaf
- 2 cups wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or dried thyme
- 2 tbsps fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsps fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste,
- 3 tablespoons butter, option
Ingredients for Pico De Gallo
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced finely
- 1/2 red onion, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Ingredients for Homemade Spicy Guacamole
- 3 Avocados peeled and scooped
- 1/4 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tbsps. Jalapeño finely chopped
- 1 Lime squeezed
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Directions for Black Beans, Corn and Cilantro Medley
- Combine black beans, boiled corn, chopped cilantro and minced jalapeno in a bowl.
- Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Directions for Wild Rice Pilaf
- Run cold water over the rice and wash it. Drain.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the wild rice and cook for 2 minutes till you get a nice aroma.
- Add 5 cups of water, ½ tsp salt and 1tbsp oil.
- Bring to a boil.
- When the water starts boiling, reduce the heat to very low.
- Cover it and cook for about 45 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Place the drained rice in a bowl and add 1 tbsp of butter.
- Add parsley and cilantro.
- Season black pepper to taste. salt, and the pepper.
- Arrange the rice in a platter for the Tacos.
Directions for Pico De Gallo
- In a bowl, combine diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno and chopped cilantro.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp lime juice and lightly season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Enjoy right away or refrigerate.
Directions for Homemade Spicy Guacamole
- Chop the onions finely
- Chop the tomatoes finely
- Chop the jalapeno finely
- Chop the cilantro finely.
- Peel the Avocadoes and scoop it into a bowl.
- Add all the chopped ingredients and mix it all up.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze lemon juice.
- Garnish with cilantro and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve it as a dip along with a bowl of Tortillas or serve it with tacos or quesadillas.
- The texture of this guacamole is on the chunky side as I don’t like it too smooth and goopy.
- I also tend to add extra jalapeños to make it more flavorful and spicier.
- Remove the packing of hard tacos and place them in the oven at 3000F for around 10 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Place the Shredded lettuce, Diced bell pepper, Black beans, corn and cilantro medley, Pico de Gallo (onion &tomato salsa), Buttery wild rice Pilaf in a platter.
- Serve the Tacos with hot sauces and Homemade Spicy Guacamole.