Tomato chutney is a tangy, tasty and spicy condiment made from tomatoes and Indian spices. There are many variations of making this chutney but the one I am sharing is a “No grind” instant one which can be literally made in less than 10 minutes and I am sure you will all love.
This particular chutney is made without onion and garlic and tempered with spices and you don’t have to blind them.
This chutney goes well with a variety of Indian breakfast like Idli, Dosa, Adai, rice and even as a spread on bread.
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp asafoetida (heing)
- 3-4 curry leaves (kadipatha)
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or sambhar powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder (methi powder) (optional)
- 1 tsp jaggery or sugar
- Heat 1tbsp Avocado Oil in a pan.
- Add all the above ingredients of the seasoning.
- Once it splutters, add chopped tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some water, cover it and cook in medium heat for 10 mints.
- Add jaggery or sugar.
- At the end, add red chili or sambhar powder.
- Add fenugreek powder (methi powder) (optional).
- This chutney tastes best when its little liquidly. So, if it becomes too dry, then add little more water.
- Cook the chutney till the oil separates.
- Serve hot with Dosa or Addai
- This chutney can be frozen or stored in the refrigerator for a week.
- Vegan and gluten free